Thursday, November 26, 2009

What's wrong with teaching Twain?

When discussing Huckleberry Finn, Dr. Abernathy proposed a question about whether or not we would teach the work to a class of 9th graders if we were making the curriculum. My vote: yes i would.

My mom is a teacher, and i worked at an elementary school my junior and senior years in high school. Simply from my experience of working with the elementary students (mainly 3rd grade) and helping my mom and seeing what she does, I'd have to say that I'd have no problem teaching this work to a 9th grade class, no matter what the maturity level or home background, ESPECIALLY in today's culture. Kids in 9th grade know and know about a LOT more than we realize. They can also understand a lot more than we think they can, partly because we force them to, but none-the-less, they still do. I mean, if schools in California are teaching children about gay and lesbian rights in FIRST grade, then what's wrong with informing of racism in 9th grade? To me, the 1st grade curriculum should be attended to before we worring about 14 and 15 year-olds learning about racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment