Saturday, November 14, 2009

Live For Today

"No, life is only given to me once and I shall never have it again; I don't want to wait for 'universal happiness.' I want to live myself, or else better not live at all." - Raskolnikov, Crime and Punishment, Book 3, Chapter 6.

Do you ever find yourself living in the future? I do.

Growing up we always want to be older than we are. In middle school everyone wants to be in high school, in high school we can't wait to graduate, leave home, and go to college, and in college everyone wants to graduate and get a job, marry, start a family, travel, etc... Looking forward to and preparing for each of those steps is not only ok, but it's a good idea to look ahead. But looking ahead and living ahead are two very different things. Let's not be so busy living in the future that we forget to live for today. After all, today is all we're guarenteed...

No comments:

Post a Comment