Thursday, November 26, 2009

a new view.

Here I am, cramming five blogs into a few hours. Of course I would have waited until the last minute to post these blogs, but what's new? However, this time it seems as if this was the worst idea possible, considering I'm suffering from a killer headache and a sore...everything. Can anyone give me three cheers for a car wreck last night?! Thankfully, everyone was fine, and it just gave me another thing to add to my list of what I am thankful for this semester!
Well, onto the first blog...

As we discussed Huck Finn on Thursday, I thought about it in ways I never had before. When I read the book in my tenth grade English class, I just thought of it as a book that was hard to read, and that I was ready to be done with. However, now I see it as the beauty it was meant to be. I truly believe that Mark Twain was trying to shed a light on the society he was living in, instead of being a racist book. Though many of the things written in the book seem very racist, I think they were written as devices to help the reader see themselves in the time and just how terrible it was for the slave population. I also think that it is completely appropriate for high school age students to read. I think that everyone should know how far our country has come since that time. Mark Twain presents it in a way where there can be no mistake made when people are trying to get into the time and society. I believe the book helps people realize how thankful they should be for where we are today and how far we have come...perfect for Thanksgiving!
Happy Turkey Day, by the way! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment