Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An Overview of Crime and Punishment

Dostoyevsky did a wonderful job with Crime and Punishment. The characters were very realistic, and when I read the book, I totally forgot that is was prose. I just kept thinking that it was real. I really did love it. Now, there were alot of points where I almost felt depressed from reading it, but I still loved it none-the-less.
Each part brought new twists, and turns to the plot line. No matter how bad things got, I always wanted to find out what was coming next. I was eager to see the sunlight in Raskolnikov's stormy life. I needed to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I was unsure about how the book would end for a while, but when I finally got there, I was very happy with what I found. I just felt so happy for Raskolnikov.
Getting to the end was the hardest part of the book. I really had to push myself to read the depressing things tat just kept happening in the book. Things just going from bad to worse. I mean, Raskolnikov almost literally went insane from killing the pawnbroker. And then, as his friends and family kept trying to help, he was just too prideful to really accept any of it. Everyone was very worried about him.
But as he progessed through the book, he finally met Sonya. That is when things actually started to get a little better. She was the light at the end of the tunnel, and I was very happy about that. She was the one who taught him how to finally love, and accept help. By the time he got to his Via Dolorosa, he was a changed person, for the better. And I loved that when he came back down the police station, all she did was basically shrug and look at him, and then he walked right back upstairs to confess his crime.
The Epilogue was my favorite part. How he even changed in prison, and how he finally started treating Sonya. At the very end, he fell at her feet and just loved her. That part really touched me. She was finally very happy. They both found love, even though it was under the oddest cicumstances, they still finally found it. And then they both came to the end of the tunnel. In seven years they could both permanently be together. They both finally found Love and Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment