Sunday, November 22, 2009

What we missed part 1: Ain't I A Woman

Due to dear ol'Ida we missed a day and got behind on readings. While that meant a day to take it easy it also meant that we missed out on some of the readings we were going to do. However, noticing that atleast two of them were posted on myUM and with little idea of what to do for the blog I decided to read them and post what I think about them.

What we missed out on reading is feminist works, and beinging a young woman they are important to me. Sojourner Truth in particular has always impressed me; she went through a lot of suffering and had many disadventages in her life but she was still able to give a world famous speech among other things.

Ain't I A Woman is a very short read. Yet it still comes across as strong and witty. Sojourner gets her point across: despite being a woman, she has never been 'gently' handled having to face the same difficulties as male slaves; and, that both keeping humans as property and keeping women from their full potential is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment