Thursday, November 26, 2009

In Hindsight...

Looking back over this semester of Honors Lit., there are many memories that stand out to me. I first decided to take the class because I loved English and literature. I had enough AP credit to exempt but I chose not to, sheerly for the love of the study. This class proved beneficial because it challenged me in a way no other college classes thus far have. I have always enjoyed being challenged and I know that I need it. I have realized how blessed I am to have the leisure of learning and thinking and reflecting while in Honors Lit. I've had to work really hard, but I'm blessed to be able to work.
However, about halfway through this semester, I hit a point where wondered what in the world I was doing. I was taking a class I didn't have to take, studying works I had already studied, and stressing out to the max over all of it. I am a musical theatre major. The whole reason we have majors in college is to focus on a field. We can still be well-rounded but not if this well-roundedness distracts from being excellent in our chosen field. This is what happened to me. In my quest to overachieve, I neglected what was most important, the theatre. I didn't practice as much as I needed to because I was doing other things.
I'm not blaming all of this on Honors Lit. Some of the blame goes to social distractions and decisions I made. But I've come to the realization that, especially since I'm in a major where no employer will ever care about an Honors degree or a degree period, I must focus on Musical Theatre and put all of my effort towards it. I've enjoyed this semester and had fun in class with all of you. I just thought I would explain why I won't be in the Honors program next semester. I hate feeling like a quitter, but I've realized I'm not really quitting. I'm starting again, with renewed fervor and focus, on what matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment