Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Great Work

I truly enjoyed reading The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro. Honestly, before I started, I did not think that I would like it. However, it is so meaningful and well-written that it draws you in from the first moment. It skillfully proves what many people already knew at the time. It is bold, but many things before it were also bold. So what sets it apart? It, I believe, lines up with Scripture quite well. It has more content than just one statement claiming that “all men are created equal.” It examines many truths upon which this Country was founded, pointing out that racial discrimination is fundamentally wrong when held next to God’s Word. “Jesus came to seek and to save that which was lost.” He did not just come to save some who were lost, but all. Pieces of literature which can speak to these things in an intelligent way are very valuable. I like this work, and am sorry I had never read it before this class. I look forward to sharing it with my future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment