Friday, November 27, 2009

Should we?

Should we teach Huckleberry Finn in the classroom and if yes, at what age should we teach it? I believe we definately should teach it, and I don't think it matters what age. I read it as a junior in high school, and nobody in my class had a problem reading it. We discussed everything in it, and I think my teacher even read it actually saying the N word. We did have to have a waiver signed before hand saying that we were okay hearing that word. She just felt that by taking that word out, you were missing the point of the book. She was not racist at all, she just felt that Twain purposely used that word to show his point. Everyone in my class had to do a project on this book, and if I remember correctly I had to draw different pictures of different scenes from the book. But, I still think that it could be taught to younger studetns, even middle school. Now a days, children grow up knowing what happened with slavery, and for the most part, they grow up knowing it was wrong. I think it's a story to be discussed amongst everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment