Friday, November 27, 2009

Ninth Grade and the "N" word

In the ninth grade I read one of my favorite books 'till this day, Farenheit 451. The book drew pictures my mind would've never conjured up and took me places I could never have gone. It was also one of the first times I had been assigned a reading with such frequent use of profanity, with exception to To Kill A Mockingbird. It was a little awkward and somewhat humorous at first, I'll be honest. But the deeper I found myself in the story, the more meaning I found with every word, every detail, even the ones I would have considered "inappropriate". Yet, these words became more appropriate than any alternative because of their place in the context and their worth in the text. I would venture to say that the same rings true for Huckleberry Finn. Yes derogatory terms were used habitually. But wasn't that the culture. Is this a poke at racism or an element of art and a succesful attempt of capturing an era and a mindset. Twain gets props from me, even though it may not be P.C. (Poltically Correct)


I commented on Seth's Huckleberry Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment