Sunday, November 22, 2009

Crime and Punishment 1

[Well, I wrote this post nearly two weeks ago now…then never actually posted it. Oh well, here it is!]

As you may remember, after our midterm examination, both Dr. Abernathy and Dr. Biskner advised us to “mark up our readings like crazy.” Well, I am not a fan of all this highlighting madness. It drives me crazy and distracts me. However, I obeyed my professors like a good little pupil and so far, so good. A little colorful craziness, but it will be ok.

So as I began reading Crime and Punishment, I highlighted lines as I read – only lines I thought might be of importance later on. I also followed Dr. Abernathy’s suggestion to write a short synopsis at the top of each page of what’s happening on that page. This was all going quite well. I distinctly remember reading one page early in the book and thinking, “Whoa. Well I know exactly what I’ll put on this page,” and I proceeded to write the words, “Bipolar Raskalnikov.” However, as a continued, I found myself wanting to put those words at the top of dozens of other pages. Literally –DOZENS. What a crazy, intricately developed character! I am not so sure that I like him. Actually I quite despise him. Well, that is too harsh. Really what I want to do is jump into the story and tell Him about Jesus! And then I want to go back in time and tell Dostoyevsky about Jesus! This is just the most depressing book I have ever read. It makes me thankful to know that I have a Savior who covers ALL sins with His cleansing crimson blood. I am so glad that I do not have to live with sin’s constant sorrow and despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment