Sunday, November 22, 2009

Crime and Punishment 2

As you can see from my last post, nearly two weeks ago I was thinking to myself, “I wish I could just tell Raskolnikov about Jesus and make all of his suffering go away.” It was about a week after I thought those thoughts that I was sitting in Honors Literature, listening to Dr. Abernathy lecture about Crime and Punishment. All of the sudden, I heard her ask something like, ”Could Raskalnikov know God.” She asked us if we thought it was possible for him to experience salvation – or if he would want to. I was so amazed that an independent thought I had had was brought up in class lecture. It was rather exciting to know that I had a reflection similar to Dr. Abernathy’s on a piece of literature. Instances like these are so encouraging. At least I know that I am occasionally on the right track.

As I alluded to before, I quite despise the book Crime and Punishment. I found no encouragement or enjoyment in reading it. Needless to say, I do not plan to read it ever again. But sometimes life involves doing things we do not enjoy. Many times we must do things we hate in order to accomplish the purpose God has given us. If we are His and are walking with Him, obedient and humble, then He will place us exactly where we need to be. This may seem to not apply to something as simple as reading a novel, but God is concerned with all things in His children’s lives – big and small. Therefore, knowing that He cares, and that He knows what He is doing, I must simply trust Him and do my best wherever I am placed. I conclude with this verse, keeping in mind that God does care that I had to read Crime and Punishment: “Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's consent. But even the hairs of your head have all been counted. Don't be afraid therefore; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

No comments:

Post a Comment