Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What to do with Sonia?

As we have discussed the character of Sonia in class, I am continually frustrated. What are we to do with this prostitute who in many ways is the redeemer? What to do with this heroine immersed in filth? I just cannot reconcile her lifestyle and her beliefs. She is very religious and leads a life of virtue except for prostituting herself. She knows the immorality of her actions but at the same time is strangely at peace with her situation. I have great pity for her. The hand life has dealt her is more than I can imagine. Who's to say in that desperate situation my choices would not be the same as hers?
However, I just cannot justify her decision to be a prostitute. I've tried to, but just can't. It has been said that she did what she had to do to save her family, that she had no other option. This is true but I don't think that having no other option is a good enough reason to sin. While she might not have made as much money at other jobs, I think it would have been better to scrape for pennies than sin against God. It was also said that it would have been a greater sin to let her family starve to death. While it would be terrible to see that happen, would it be better to put sin in between yourself and your Creator? Could she have just trusted Him to provide and stay true to His Word?
I know this sounds harsh and that I have no right to pronounce judgement on her. It's just a struggle I have with her character. However, I know there is grace and mercy in the cross of Christ that covers all sin. I know there is forgiveness waiting for Raskolnikov and Sonia when they confess their sin. And in that belief, we all have hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment